Monday 1 September 2014

My name is Anasta, I am the miming bobble head.

Dear readers,

My name from now on is Anasta, as this is what Leo calls me. She will only say the last part of my name if I have [accidentally] ignored her several times.

I have also taken on the custom of smiling and nodding at the many french people I pass on the street when I go for a walk. Some simply say "Bonjour", which [thankfully] I can say back as well. But some decide to strike up a conversation at which point I smile and nod, maybe say a "Oui" (but these could be dangerous, who knows what I could be saying "yes" to).

I have this feeling the french people think I am the slightly unmannered Canadian. But it isn't because I am trying to be rude. It isn't my fault that I don't know the words to "nice to meet you" (perhaps I should ask how to say this and remember it - that's the hard part, the remembering) or many other words for that matter. So instead when people meet me, I just smile even bigger and nod even more vigorously. This probably makes me look like a mental - think of those "crazy face" snapchats you send people, but instead of seeing that image for 5 seconds, imagine a person who doesn't speak your language staring at you with this "crazy face"...
I feel like by the end of this trip I will have mastered the art of miming.

Anyways so the forest is an interesting place.

A took a walk there yesterday, and slightly got lost - knowing my ability to get lost in forests easily for a minimum of 6 hours and fearfully thinking I'll have to live off the land or swim across a lake, I asked the host mom if this was possible here, to my relief she assured me that after a brief walk I will always hit some kind of road. At which point I'll have to "crazy face" it and mime "where is my home" to unsuspecting driving french people.

I did come upon this guys house, who collects buses (and other large looking vehicles).




Tomorrow will be "a lot of driving day". Which is an adventure on its own. Considering the "one lane, but lets fit two cars on it" roads, and the "I must drive on the grass so the opposing driver can actually drive on this road" ways of driving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment