Monday 30 March 2015

Once upon a wine

So last week was sort of bittersweet as I happened to lose another good friend here in no-where-land of France. We first made time for some tea and food in our favourite café in Fontainebleau, followed by a crepe dinner a few days following. It is always sad to say bye to a friend here, especially cause you don’t know when you will see them again (but in this case, Berlin in July!!! See you soon girl).

Crepes for dinner, because when in france.. 

The weekend also started off so nicely. After seeing how inconvenient the train schedule was at night (i.e I’d have to sit on a sketchy bus for about 2 hours) my host mom suggested I take the Saturday morning off and just spend the night in Paris.
So Friday came and I left to Paris for a friend’s birthday party. The atmosphere, the people, and the music were just perfect. First there was wine, then there were familiar faces, then there was wine, then there were Russians, then there was more wine, then there was home cooked appetizer-foods, then more wine, then the guitar came out. Ah it was perfect! 

Unfortunately a blurry picture, but the only picture I took of the birthday girl and her musical husband.

Then my friend and I had to maneuver the last metro trains back to her place on the other side of Paris.

As we were getting out there was a drunk man who kept shouting at us. Saying something about Germans and Germany. Neither of us spoke German, nor look like Germans (although I guess it might be debatable in my case with the blonde-hair-blue-eyes) but for some reason he was insistent. He happened to follow us all the way down the street. At first I was calm and collected as I find “if I don’t look, they won’t bother me”. Then we watched as he walked a little further up and only then decided it would be safe to cross the road behind him and head in the direction of the apartment. As we began to cross he turned around, faced us, shouted whatever he was shouting, and started to slowly maneuver towards us. That’s when I lost my cool, and totally started to freak out. So we just fast-walked along and finally turned on the street we had to, escaping the crazy man.

OR NOT.

All of a sudden out of the corner comes this man!! You know how you watch zombie movies and you think the calm has finally commenced and then JUMP SCARE. Yes, that is exactly how I saw this event occur. So we, being the slightly intoxicated and not-so-slightly terrified girls, we decided to hide behind a car and call my friends fiancée to come get us.

To put everyone at ease, we got home safe after that and didn’t see the guy again.

Mom don’t worry, Paris is safe I promise!

The next day was kept pretty calm after some Indian food, salon hopping, saying goodbye to my friend, and then meeting up with another friend for some Starbucks. I swear I should stop with the Starbucks… it is way too expensive here in Europe. Like you Canadians back home think Starbucks is expensive, trust me Canadian Starbucks is like Tim Hortons compared to European Starbucks. Anyways, I can’t always explain my spending habits. Maybe that’s why I’m broke.

So on the Sunday I figured it would be a good idea to go to a free wine tasting with some girlfriends. It happened to be so, that I got an email about a free wine-tasting in Paris as long as you print out some coupons. Sounds like a trick right? Nope, I printed out those coupons and off we got our little wine glasses, which we’re filled immediately with wine (Come on we’re at a wine tasting what else do you expect our wine glasses to be filled with… oh wait there was cognac).

So fortunately for me I’ve had experience with wine tasting (Alberta + boyfriend + filled glasses of wine which we would down + little food + (- water) = den den holding my hair back while I threw up on the side of the bed in a bucket [sorry about that imagery. Unfortunately I am reminded of this finale regularly by den den]).  I learned my lesson from the last time and actually only tasted the wine rather than finishing every glass, and did not even bother to drink much of the wines I really disliked. Surprisingly, or maybe not for some people, this event was much bigger than the one in Alberta (wine population wise), and all the wine came from France! The one in Alberta had wines from all over the world and it was all in one gymnasium, this one had like 7 rooms (or more for all we know, it seemed infinite).

See you girls did make it into the selfie!


So after a very French day of wine and baguette we all headed home for a nice relaxing time of the Walking Dead (you see now why I used the zombie reference, and also why I am spooked in the dark now…)


Goodnight, don’t let the zombies bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment