Friday 5 December 2014

A good day to visit the Catacombs

Yes, while it is Christmas, and all of Paris is decked out in decorations; some friends and I thought it would be a good idea to visit the catacombs. And it was a good day. Usually the lines to the catacombs are about 1 hour long, however because we are smart (and have the day off) we went on a weekday, therefore, no line at all. The catacombs are a place you must see in Paris because it is interesting, however, unlike the Louvre, it’s a “get in, get out, don’t really want to come back and visit again” type of place. We walked through a cave tunnel for a good 20-30 minutes, then all of a sudden you hit “The land of the dead” or something like that – I don’t recall exactly what it was called… but I am on the right track. And then you walk through tunnels of bones for about 15 minutes. I did take pictures of the stone tunnels, but did feel a little uncomfortable taking pictures with human remains. Although my friends and I seemed to be the only ones with this thought, as we happened to pass a couple several times where they were literally posing with the remains… awkward. I feel there is a time and a place for “selfies” and “posing with the background several times”, and human remains are just not part of that situation.





We then ended up going to my favourite arrondissement (the 7th, the place with the Invalides), where we enjoyed a wonderful lunch for only 10 euros! For being the richest arrondissement, it sure has really good and cheap food. We also happened to come upon a really nice café for some coffee. The place is called Kozy (and hell yes it was cozy), and there happened to be many English speaking students.


After that we headed back to my friends place where we enjoyed a lovely dinner of crepes, wine, cheese, and a lot of other food, before I headed back to the house. These two days I’ve had the girls almost the entire day on my own (today, this also includes lunch). Now I am usually quite alright looking after the girls for so long, but after receiving some shitty news, let’s just say I am really not in the mood to be talked back to, screamed at, and given attitude. The only thing I want to do is crawl into my bed, and dwell in my own pity of how crummy I feel. Instead I’ve got to master up the courage to be super au pair. I really can’t wait for the weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment