Wednesday 26 March 2014

The days of our [Science] lives

So much drama! I thought I left of the drama behind in high school.

People breaking up friendships, tears, anger, and where would we be without people being rude.

Now I am not a part of any of this, but I get vented to, and asked for advice.

I am not a fan of drama myself, but I don't like to see my friends get hurt. So what I do is I bring her tea, chocolates, and just listen. Oh and starting a 9pm throwback dance party in lab! That part was actually a lot of fun.

What I do want to talk about is this whole "rude" thing. I lose complete respect for people when they are assholes, plain and simple. If you are a pompous bastard please stay far away from me.
In my last post I mentioned how the poster awards had to do a lot with "biology politics". Well one of the people who won is in my lab (that's out of 3 people in my lab, 1 won a poster award). Now I am not saying he didn't deserve it, yet.

First, he won because he is a favourited by: my professor, TA's, my professors close colleagues. The only people who don't favourite him are his colleagues (so us, students). Now this isn't because we're jealous, trust me. He is favourited because of his project BUT the project isn't even his!!! My professor started this project and this guy is only CONTINUING it. Unlike my project where I made up my OWN question, my OWN methods, my OWN results, I didn't just get stuff handed to me like he did. So I believe, that because of all of this (and other minor details in this category he won). I again was to stress that this is not because of jealousy, because there are other people in my lab (Master's student) and people outside of the lab that agree with me. And when I told them about how he won, their response was similar to mine: "of course, it was almost predicted that he'd win".

Now this isn't the "drama" part. What happened yesterday was what really irked me. He started a conversation with me about how he has a lot of work, including thesis. One of his projects just happens to be due at the same time as his thesis. Here are his words almost exactly:
"So I think I am just going to go up to Professor ______ and ask for an extension. He should understand thesis comes first. And he obviously knows I am a good work, like I WON THE POSTER AWARD. Clearly he'll give me an extension".
Wow buddy... Clearly you have a complex over the fact that I didn't recognize that you won the poster award and I didn't congratulate you and knelt at your feet like you expect people to.
So this makes me pretty mad. But it gets better.

A TA passes our lab and stops to congratulate him on getting the poster award. To which he replies "Oh it really isn't a big deal, it's not like I get anything with it." So when we talk to me we want to be all high and mighty, but with others we're average. Fuck you too.

Please people, don't be egotistical assholes.

No comments:

Post a Comment