Monday 26 May 2014

Welcome to Paradise (Cuba Part 1)

Wake up at 2:15am, plane leaves at 7:30am. Thank goodness my mom woke up before me, because silly me decided to put my alarm clock at 2:00pm..

I had probably only slept about 3 hours, but I didn’t even care. I was so excited to finally get to the airport and get out of Canada and country life.


My mom and I arrived at the Santa Clara airport at around 12pm. We were freezing in the airplane with the air conditioning. Once we got off it, took a step into the sunlight, we were overtaken by humid, hot air. It was such a shock at first I thought I couldn’t breath for the first 10 seconds. We went through immigration pretty quickly, the people are pretty nice there. Especially considering the very foolish move I did:

Person at immigration: how old are you?
Me: shoot.. How old am I…. 19… wait no… I am 23… well 23 in October, so I am 22.

Embarrassing…

After the airport we climbed onto our bus, drove 2 hours across Cuba to our resort – Melia Las Dunas. Driving through Cuba you get to see the tiny, run-down houses that the locals live in. Their “wildlife” (aka horses, cows, and cats) were all so skinny you could see the rib cage of every animal. But now matter all of this, I was sort of jealous of their simple lives. Here in our first-world counties we have no lives. We depend so much on technology we do not even realize how we are not living our lives through our human bodies, instead we live it through our iPhones, laptops, instagrams, twitters, facebook… It is really sad. Better not get off-track here, we’ll save this discussion for another post.

Our resort was beautiful! Palm trees, ocean breeze, fantastic food, great entertainment, and a hell of a lot of dancing. It did rain for the first 3.5 days of our stay, but its warm rain so it really does not bother me (better than snow).



For these 3 days of rain I found new friends (mostly Russian), we learned Salsa, Meranguias (sp?), some sort of Zumba, and just had a whole bunch of fun. The food was amazing… wait no, the FRUIT was amazing!! I am so obsessed with passion fruit after this trip, I ate a minimum of 3 full plates of it every day/ when it was available. I had also tried coconut water right from a coconut for the first time! I must say it does not even compare to the ones in the can. The canned coconut water is disgusting. I made a mistake of trying it one time, it was awful.




Well I think that will be it for now. I’ll write up a Part 2 for tomorrow. Look forward to love, marriage, proposals, and friendships that will hopefully last [forever].  

No comments:

Post a Comment