Tuesday 5 May 2015

I'll have chips with that.

Starting from the time that I sat down in the eurostar and the man that sat beside me right away said "Hello", I felt like I wasn't in Paris anymore. Let's face it, no french person would randomly say "hello" to you unless they somehow knew you, or they had to due to customer service duties (which aren't the best as we have learned with the internet incident).


Arrival in London was splendid! I tried out couchsurfing for the first time as some people were really recommending it, so I figured, why not. My host was so wonderful! He met me right at the train station and then knowing I like Harry Potter took me to platform 9 3/4: 

Yes I wore Slytherin, because I am a herpetologist (no I don't study herpes, and yes I have heard the joke many times before.. and still continue to hear it from certain someones... continuously... ) and therefore I like snakes.

First meal in London was an obvious choice. Also the cider was so delicious! If only we had cider like this in France. 

I did find this kind of hilarious.


On my first day in London we explored the west side. Specifically our goal was Abbey Road. You'd think it'd be easy. Not so much when I have no phone that can utilize internet in another country and when my friends phone has no battery. However there are maps everywhere in London! Making things very helpful. However, not so helpful when you end up in the middle of Abbey Road and pick the wrong end to go down... only having to turn back around to the middle and continue on in the other direction. Thankfully we did find it! And obviously tried to impersonate the Beatles. 

It's like John Lennon is looking right at me... I can't even spot the difference. 

Then we decided it would be better to take the bus home rather than walk the however many kilometers we walked to find Abbey Road. So I had to get my Oyster card (unfortunately no seafood was provided with the purchase). 

On my second day I went exploring all by myself. I ended up visiting the British Museum first (which was my favourite out of all of them!) and then took the bus to the Natural History Museum. Throughout my trip I took the bus a lot as it was almost 1 full pound cheaper than the metro and I got to see more of London that way anyways, oh and the traffic of London. I was also always terrified the bus driver will hit the person in front of us... it's like they've never heard of the "one car distance in between every stop" (more like let's see how fast I can brake). 


Darwin was the most fascinating thing I saw at the Natural History Museum. Otherwise the museum was structured mostly for children... and oh god... there were so many children. I guess as an au pair I shouldn't say that... but when it comes to 30+ children in each room you enter, even Mary Poppins would be overwhelmed. 

I laughed out loud at this. Why does DNA look like an old scrunched up tissue? 


After a day of exploring 4 museums, 2 castles, 3 parks, and being hit on very aggressively by random old men....funny story, I was sitting in Hyde Park just eating my lunch when this guy just comes up to say:
Him:"wow so beautiful, can I take pictures?" .... 
Me:"No." *continues to eat sandwich*
Him: "I am a photographer....blah blah blah" He continues talking and I trully stopped paying attention thinking maybe if I look really deep into my Kobo he'll go away... I was unpleasantly surprised it didn't work when I hear
Him:"Can I sit down?"
Me:"It's a public place, so yeah you can sit down, but I'll be on my way"
Him:"Well can I take your number?"
Me:"Sorry I'm not from here"
Him:"do you have whatsapp?"
Me:"That doesn't exist in my country"
Him:"well then what about just your number"
Me:"again, I don't have a number. I'm not from here. I moved here and I never got a phone"
Him:"Oh so you are sure then you have no whatsapp"
Me:"No. I have to go to dinner plans" *gobbles rest of her sandwich as fast as possible and runs away BUT not before he takes my hand and kisses it!!* It's ok.... I had my hand sanitizer. 


The next day my friend suggested I go to the SkyGarden where I can see all of London for free... free you say? In London, yes please. Then I continued exploring the rest of London. I mostly headed to explore the East and around the Thames.

I came upon Tower Hill which was this awesome looking castle. I really wanted to go in and I figured no matter how many pounds it'll be I'll still buy the ticket (thinking it would be around 10 pounds). NOPE. try doubling and then add another 7... yup that's right it was 27 freakin pounds to get a ticket! So when people say London is expensive, yes I agree. But when people say Paris is the second most expensive, I really can't believe you. I can pass a weekend in Paris (no shopping) seeing most of the touristy areas (including museums and castles) for about 30 euros (food included and wine).... but to pay 27 pounds for just one ticket??? Seriously London... That's a bit over the top. 


Instead I went up Tower Bridge because I wanted to see the glass floor and all the history behind the bridge. 

Finishing my exploration day at Big Ben. 

So after 2.5 days I saw about 90% of London, made new friends, and saw very old friends (try 14 years of not seeing each other), I can say that I spent a good holiday in London. 

Some places definitely brought back some memories of when I used to live in London, but most things I have really forgotten and it was great to relive them again. It was also really delightful to have people ask me where my accent was from! Also so many of the British people would tell me how funny I was... I've clearly found my audience.

Back to Paris I went: taking the midnight train for drinks this weekend and fun times of creepy men following you around Bastille.... good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment